FOR HORSES BASED IN IRELAND. Registering a change of ownership, and duplicate passports
Horse Passport Legislation
The current legislation relating to horse passports means it is a legal requirement for all equidae in Ireland to be issued with a passport by an authorised Passport Issuing Organisation.
Please note that the Legislative requirements on Equine Identification (passports etc) are actively enforced by the official authorities (DAFM)
Please click here to view the legal requirements for Horse Owners.
Please click here to view the guide to buying and selling
Change of Ownership
When selling / transferring ownership:
• Give the passport to the buyer / new owner at the time of sale
• A record of the transfer of ownership of an equine shall be maintained by both the person
transferring ownership and the person to whom ownership is transferred.
When buying / acquiring ownership:
• You must receive the passport from the seller at the time of purchase.
• You must complete Section A, Section B and Section C of this form.
• You must forward this form and the passport with the appropriate fee to the PIO (Weatherbys Ireland)
within 30 days of acquiring ownership.
Records / Penalties
• Both parties must keep a copy of this transfer of ownership declaration - photocopying or photo will suffice.
N.B. For transferring ownership of registered broodmares and registered stallions, please contact Weatherbys Ireland direct.
• DAFM authorised officers will carry out inspections and have powers to inspect records and documents.
• Failure to register the transfer of ownership within the time limit is now a serious offence in
Ireland and attracts heavy penalties.
• Giving false, misleading or incomplete information is also a legal offence.
• It is a legal requirement under the Control on Places where Horses are kept Regulation (SI 113 of 2014) that all premises where equines are kept must be registered with the Department of Agriculture. Accordingly, you should ensure that your equine is being kept on a registered premises. If your holding is not already registered as an Equine premises, you should apply immediately to DAFM for an Equine Premises Number.
Equidae Transfer of Ownership Form (PDF) - For all horses registered with Weatherbys excluding registered active Broodmares and Stallions.
If the original passport has been lost, owners are required to apply for a duplicate.
In order to apply for a duplicate passport please download, complete and return the form below with a set of veterinary markings (including the scanned microchip number if present), plus the relevant fee.
For horses registered in the General Stud Book or Non Thoroughbred Register:
Duplicate Passport Application Form (PDF)
Markings Form (PDF)